The Truth About Skin Peels : My Dermamelan Treatment, Part I

VDG

I have long spoken about my deep love and affection of skin peels, and why they have helped my skin beyond my imagination. I wanted to take some time out to explain just whats going on, and give you a two part series of my most favourite peel ever. I have a two-part BLOG for you, and have also answered some peel questions, have a daily picture diary of my skin progress and a side of commentary too.

Skin Peels are one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed today and can significantly improve the appearance of the skin. Chemical peels are a method of regenerating and resurfacing the skin by inducing a controlled wound. These light to medium depth peels remove part of the epidermal layer and therefore improve acne and acne scarring, sun-damaged skin, skin pigmentation problems, wrinkles, skin texture, and the overall appearance of the skin. Peels give the best results when performed in a series, however even a single treatment can make a significant difference. Victorian Dermal Group uses Aspect Dr clinical skin peels, with varying strengths and formulations to treat a wide variety of skin concerns.

I asked my dermatologist Derya Koch, from Victorian Dermal Group a few questions:

How does a clinical/medical peel work?

Clinical/medical peels promote exfoliation, skin exfoliation is achieved by either chemical or physical means, chemical exfoliation (clinical/medical peels) is achieved by using naturally derived acids. The formulations are made up of naturally derived acids, for example two commonly used Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHA’s) or Beta Hydroxy acids  (BHA’s). A simple comparison between AHA’s and BHA’s is simply that BHA’s are primarily oil soluble – works on the oil phases of the skin that cause acne and congestion, also ideal for thickened skins due to external environmental factors. Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHA’s) are hydrophilic (water soluble) used in product formulations to facilitate an increase in cell turn over, and for their antioxidant and hydrating properties.

What will the treatment feel like?

The treatment is very comfortable, expect some dryness and possible flaking 5 days post peel as your skin goes through an exfoliation process. To minimise your recovery period we perform clinical / medical peels with a hydrating and repairing ampoule and mask.

How many treatments are required?

This will depend on the condition being treated. Normally a course of 4 peels and cosmeceutical homecare achieve great results.

How do I prepare my skin?

Within 2 weeks prior to your treatment DO NOT have any of the following treatments:

• Waxing of any area to be treated

• Depilatory use in any treated area

• Laser treatments

• Chemical treatments of any kind

• During summer Sunscreen must be worn

• Any active injury or inflammation to the treatment area

I recently underwent an extreme and very controlled form of facial peel, otherwise known as a Dermamelan Treatment. It is one of the most intense and drastic types of peel you can have. But like most things in life, with patience, dedication and the diligence, the pay-off and the result is nothing to laugh at.

[pullquote width=”300″ float=”left”]Good skin takes time and is not an overnight fix.[/pullquote]

Remembering I was once a girl with many scars, pimples, black and white heads, hormone affected and unbalanced skin, I can now say I have never been happier with my tone, scarring, blemish control and overall healthy glow. This peel has changed my skin (and confidence) forever, in more ways than I can count. Even not wearing make up on my days off has led me to be more comfortable and friendly to my skin, where usually I would wear ore, just to cover it up.

It is important to trust your dermatologist as well as your own instinct, and to take instructions and care of your skin very seriously. Here is my story..

WARNING:
What you are about to see is somewhat graphic and was painful, but the results were more than worth my pain. Rest assured, I knew what I was getting myself into, and love my results. Beauty might be pain, but its certainly worth it.

Before:

Note the colour of my skin, the scarring, the tone around my chin and nose, and the general condition. A fair bit of scarring, uneven skin tone and discolouration.

IMG_7967.JPG IMG_7971.JPG IMG_7972.JPG
Day 1: Application of Mask

I was so excited for this peel! I have high expectations and am ready for what ever is thrown my way! Firstly the skin is make up free and prepared with the cleanser (the blue liquid) and the mask is then applied. Derya put a thicker layer on the more problem areas. IMG_7980.JPG IMG_7982.JPG IMG_7986.JPG

Then I stayed like this (very sexy, I know..) for 8 hours. I drove 30 minutes home with sunglasses on, pretending to ignore the bizarre stares I was getting! Be prepared for this, as it must be done. The longer it is left, the better the results!

Day 1: Removal of Mask

8 hours later, I removed the mask, and I I was a little red, but not very swollen. My face felt warm but not irritated in any way. I looked like this:IMG_7990.JPGThen two hours later, my face was swollen, hot, and very red. It felt dry and tight, and a little swollen. Although I was warned, I was a little shocked at how quickly since the removal of the mask, this had taken affect. Almost instantly! My cheeks and lips were puffed and my skin felt like a sunburn. It wasn’t painful, but you knew it was there.

IMG_8001.JPG IMG_8004.JPG IMG_8002.JPG

Day 2: Swelling

As I awoke the next morning, I was expecting to be little more red and puffy, and indeed I was. I was told not to venture out of the house (more for embarrassment, rather than the peeling itself) and I certainly was’t going anywhere any time soon. I am a social creature by nature, and love my outside coffee meets and Sunday brunch dates. This really affected me, but not enough to venture out! Hello HR Puff N Stuff! Particularly in the last image, with the bee-stung lips.

IMG_8012.JPG IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8015.JPG IMG_8017.JPG

Day 3: Peeling

The next morning I had awoken in a tight and cracking haze, as my face was leaving its past behind without me even realising! I had started to peel! Firstly it started around my mouth, then my nose, chin and cheeks. From the middle of the face outward, I guess. This was my favourite and most painful part of the process. The new skin was very raw, shiny and tender (not to mention swollen) but had already reduced small scars and pimples coming through. Already, I could see my face changing and my skin was almost always feeling like it was on fire – especially after moisturising it. It would sting so much, I would sing Alicia Keys ‘This Girl is on Fire’ but replace the words ‘this girl’ and sang, ‘my skin’ instead. I could feel my face crunching and the peeling flakes blowing in the wind.. It was love, but a very painful and traumatic love. And it was only getting started..

IMG_8037.JPG IMG_8032.JPG

Day 4:

Coming soon!
Keep in touch for Part II of this one, its well worth the wait!

You can find Victorian Dermal Group on Facebook and Instagram.

Like it? Share it!Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest

26 Comments

1. LUngie wrote:

How much is dermamelan treaTment/peel

Posted 4.10.17
  2. Becky Lamb wrote:

The cost is usually upwards of $1000.oo AUD. And its worth every penny if you have scarring and uneven skin like me, but be sure you are going to the right dermal clinician!

Posted 5.3.17
  3. Chantelle Casotti wrote:

I had the dermamelan peel on may 2 and am now continuing The post treatment plan. My skin gets better and better everyday!! Best thing i have done!

Posted 6.15.17
  4. Mateen wrote:

Hi….it was very helpful.

Posted 6.27.17
  5. Mateen wrote:

Could you please tell me how many peels have you done..

Posted 6.27.17
  6. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Mateen,
    I have only had the one peel. If you have scar-prone skin like mine, its a great fix! I loved it. Your skin does change though, and you do see differences, but you might want another one in a few years just to get those little scars gone! Keep up the maintenance peels too, really helped.

Posted 7.5.17
  7. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Mateen,
    Thank you! I tried to do that exactly. Glad it has worked 🙂

Posted 7.5.17
  8. Megan wrote:

Thank you so much for doing this. I’m currently on Day 3 on my Dermamelan treatment and I was not expecting this pain! After all the research I did, no one really mentioned it, I was definitely starting to worry something was wrong. So you’re story is incredibly reassuring, thanks again!!

Posted 8.29.17
  9. Nicole Spence wrote:

Hi, can you tell me if you know if anyone on the Gold Coast that does this peel? I noticed you did it in Victoria?

Thanks

Posted 11.27.17
  10. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Megan, Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you found me! I am often asked to basically sugarcoat the bad things that happen (oh the joys of social media!) but I refuse to be anything other than honest – how else do you gain trust in your readers? Anyway, the pain is real and the post is honest. I’m glad you can relate and hope your skin looks fresh and beautiful after your peel!

Posted 1.22.18
  11. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Nicole, I am yet to find someone but if I ever do, I will let you know. It is so hard to find the right clinician as they all promise the world but unfortunately some only deliver an atlas.. If you find one, please let me know too!

Posted 1.22.18
  12. Becky Lamb wrote:

I agree! It is the best thing I have ever done too!

Posted 1.22.18
  13. Meg wrote:

Hi
    I’m getting married end of May and nervous about doing incase I still have flaking by the wedding date, how long did the flaking last? A friend had it done and her skin looks amazing but she still gets flaky patches several months later….. thanks!

Posted 2.26.18
  14. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Meg, Congratulations on your wedding! I stopped peeling for the most part about 2 weeks after (the smaller cream actually increases the time you peel). If you continue to use that cream, you will continue to peel. You should peel for about two weeks and then it would have mostly cleared up. You should have plenty of time! Good luck x

Posted 2.26.18
  15. Noopur jain wrote:

Hi Becky,
    How much down time we required to recover from this treatment ..also i m getting married in july 04 so when is the right time to get this treatment done..

Posted 4.4.18
  16. Kum wrote:

Hi there i had a similar peel called Meladeep. I went through the same as per your experience. I was still on post treatment cream and I did a was on my upper lip. I had a was burn and now it’s left a scar. I am highly stressed and don’t know what can be done.

Posted 4.7.18
  17. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Kum, I am sorry to hear this. I would suggest you head back to where you had the procedure and consult your therapist. Good luck!

Posted 4.28.18
  18. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Noopur, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I would suggest a month before your wedding would be a good space of time, even six weeks before – you will have a good week of down time, but those extra weeks will ensure you will have flawless skin for your special day. x

Posted 4.28.18
  19. Trish wrote:

Hello Becky,
    Can I see part 2 photos please??
    Thanks

Posted 5.13.18
  20. Reka wrote:

Hi Becky,

Thank you for the posts on your Dermamelan experience.
    I am South African Indian, and had the Dermamelan peel in-house in July and August, and went home with the home kit. My first 14 days was exactly like your experience as per the pictures. However, my almost grayish/black pigmentation on the sides of my face; and the generalized brown spots remained unchanged. There is no lightening of any area of my face.
    I am extremely disappointed with the treatment which costed well over ZAR 20000,00. My advice to anyone wanting to undergo the Dermamelan peel is to weigh the costs and benefits, as there are no guarantees. While there are some great reviews of the product, this is a personally tried and tested absolute no no!

Posted 10.5.18
  21. Mickey wrote:

What products did you use for your after care. The swelling is real, I just want to scratch! As well my skin is so red….. please help!

Posted 3.11.19
  22. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Mickey, have you seen both pages of this blog post? I have some great products to use with the peel at the bottom of the pages. Take a look and let me know what you think. Good luck!

Posted 3.11.19
  23. I have taken Dermamelan peel it’s day 7 ,peeling completed ..but I didn’t appreciate any results infact I became darker than before ..what will u suggest??

Posted 4.7.19
  24. Becky Lamb wrote:

I would suggest you talk to your clinician or derm specialist who performed the procedure for you. Good luck!

Posted 4.11.19
  25. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Reka, I am sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your experience! There are a lot of factors that affect the treatment and your clinician should have gone through these with you prior to treatment. Your expectations should have been dealt with prior to this too. Hopefully everything is on the mend now!

Posted 4.11.19

Instagram

• Happy second birthday @biologiserum !
So lucky to be part of this amazing family. We celebrated the big TWO yesterday in classic Biologi style 💫
So proud of you @lucybiologi ❤️❤️ Thanks for the pic inspo @oceanastrachan 😜➡️ #Biolgi #BeckyLamb
  • I look pretty darn happy in this photo, huh! 🥰💫💍 Swipe to see more good times with my HUSBAND to be 🤣
I’m so excited to share with you my latest video. She‘s live at 7pm tonight (see my stories for notifications!) and I’ll have a #linkinbio when she’s up!
We chat alllllll about the great lengths @fabiancoulthard went to to get this ring..! What a man! #LoveYou #CoulthardAndCo #BeckyLamb
  • Today was such a gooooooood day!
I was lucky enough to host the @minding.her.business event in Brisbane and LOVED it!
Honestly, I was terrified of holding that mic and talking to all of the gorgeous women (and men!) who attended.. but even though I have a camera every day and put my face on your screens, I don’t actually see you in front of me very often. And certainly not hundreds of you at a time..! So I put my big-girl pants on (well, dress..!) and have myself a big pep-talk and figured, ‘how bad could this be?’ (Lol 🤦🏼‍♀️) and thought I would just have a bit of fun with it and share a few of my thoughts. And off I went on my usual tangent, spilling the beans of my brain and giving this (very beautiful and well dressed!) crowd a piece of my mind.
I remember mentioning how scared I was, and how intimidating they all were, being so beautiful and well dressed. Which got me thinking about these people - Snd how we are ALL the same! I get dressed up, have my hair and make-up game strong and people will see me and not say hello - but DM me later saying they were scared to come up to me. Which leads me to wondering WHY I was so terrified of these women who are just as terrified of me (sounds SO silly, right?😂😂) Why, when I know I have worked so hard to wear this dress, have this knowledge and confidence and to do my make up this way do I not give credit to that other girl when she has done the same as me, and just simply say, ‘I love that dress! It looks so lovely on you. Hi I’m Becky. What do you do?’ It’s funny to think that that girl is just so much like me. She’s not scary, she’s not perfect and probably just enjoyed Friday night pizza’s and a good wine with friends just as much as me.
So me getting on that mic and pushing myself out of that comfort zone is just the same as me introducing myself or having a chat with another I admire.
I just think it’s much cooler to challenge yourself and say hello and throw someone a complement than sit back and stay in that comfort zone. Give it a go, I highly recommend. ❤️ #MHbTribe #BeckyLamb
  • My favourite type of art. 💁🏼‍♀️
@stefanhair you’ve done it again! Catching the best light of these colours by @caseysims_xo at @stefan_helensvale ⚡️💖 #StefanHair #BeckyLamb
  • Happy Father’s Day to our king! 🤴👑 We love you so much and are so proud of you. We are so grateful to have you ❤️❤️ @fabiancoulthard
#FabPack #CoulthardAndCo
  • Hi all. I’m feeling SO grateful and really content with my world and I just wanted to say thank you. ✨⚡️💫
Thank you to everyone who has made time in their life for us! Whether it be big or small, a comment, text, like, phone call, face time, direct message, card in the mail, home deliveries, sharing content, reply to stories, offers for help and everything in between.
Thank you to anyone waiting on a return phone call, text or email for your patience. I’m trying, I promise!
But mostly, thank you to you for being here and being a part of this. Without you, this wouldn’t be and this I truly appreciate at. So this one is for you and all of you for being here with me, with us. LOVE YOU SO SO MUCH!! ❤️❤️❤️ #Grateful #ThankYou
  • This insanely perfect view/house could be YOURS!
Yep, swipe right and take a look at your new view. All for as little as $5 (PSA - this is worth 4.1 MILLION DOLLARS). @rslartunion have just released the first of their 2019 LUXURY LINE UP which starts with this beauty in Palm Beach on the Gold Coast. Your ONE ticket buys you entry to THREE draws 😱
I had the absolute pleasure of enjoying this property last week and I’ve put a full house tour on my YouTube channel (link in bio!) and you can see every corner of this magnificent property. It’s really easy to enter AND you’re also supporting a wonderful cause.
I am so lucky to call the GC home and now you can too! Good luck everyone! ❤️❤️ #RSLArtUnion #PrizeHome #GoldCoast #BeckyLamb #LuxuryLineUp
📸 @risenfilm
  • Thank you all so much for your thoughtful, kind and generous well-wishes for my birthday today. It has been such a welcome inundation of love in a true time in need.
We were admitted to hospital again with Mackenzie today. Honestly, it’s been incredibly testing on multiple levels and really pushed @fabiancoulthard & I to the limit. It seems like for when it rains, it pours. Pneumonia is so so horrendous 😔 Seeing your perfect little person in such a painful and helpless way shatters you into a billion pieces. It’s just so HARD. The way they look at you in pure panic when they trust you so much to help them and fix them and you just can’t. It’s unbearable. It has been an absolute breaker of a time and my birthday has included the highs and the lows, that’s for sure. Nothing makes you realise what is most important in life until it can be taken right from underneath you without warning. She will be fine, we will be fine and I’ll live for another birthday, but please, do me a favour and cuddle your perfect little people extra tight tonight. I just wish I could have my little family all together under the one roof for next years birthday but for now, I’ll be doing what ever I can for my sweet little princess ❤️❤️❤️ #CoulthardAndCo
  • We have something to tell you... It’s allllllll on my YT channel. Link in bio my loves (CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO SEE WEEEEEEEE!) 💍❤️🥰 @fabiancoulthard ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
#CoulthardAndCo

#CoulthardAndCo

never miss a post

join us and receive your password for protected content.