The Truth About Skin Peels : My Dermamelan Treatment, Part I

VDG

I have long spoken about my deep love and affection of skin peels, and why they have helped my skin beyond my imagination. I wanted to take some time out to explain just whats going on, and give you a two part series of my most favourite peel ever. I have a two-part BLOG for you, and have also answered some peel questions, have a daily picture diary of my skin progress and a side of commentary too.

Skin Peels are one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed today and can significantly improve the appearance of the skin. Chemical peels are a method of regenerating and resurfacing the skin by inducing a controlled wound. These light to medium depth peels remove part of the epidermal layer and therefore improve acne and acne scarring, sun-damaged skin, skin pigmentation problems, wrinkles, skin texture, and the overall appearance of the skin. Peels give the best results when performed in a series, however even a single treatment can make a significant difference. Victorian Dermal Group uses Aspect Dr clinical skin peels, with varying strengths and formulations to treat a wide variety of skin concerns.

I asked my dermatologist Derya Koch, from Victorian Dermal Group a few questions:

How does a clinical/medical peel work?

Clinical/medical peels promote exfoliation, skin exfoliation is achieved by either chemical or physical means, chemical exfoliation (clinical/medical peels) is achieved by using naturally derived acids. The formulations are made up of naturally derived acids, for example two commonly used Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHA’s) or Beta Hydroxy acids  (BHA’s). A simple comparison between AHA’s and BHA’s is simply that BHA’s are primarily oil soluble – works on the oil phases of the skin that cause acne and congestion, also ideal for thickened skins due to external environmental factors. Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHA’s) are hydrophilic (water soluble) used in product formulations to facilitate an increase in cell turn over, and for their antioxidant and hydrating properties.

What will the treatment feel like?

The treatment is very comfortable, expect some dryness and possible flaking 5 days post peel as your skin goes through an exfoliation process. To minimise your recovery period we perform clinical / medical peels with a hydrating and repairing ampoule and mask.

How many treatments are required?

This will depend on the condition being treated. Normally a course of 4 peels and cosmeceutical homecare achieve great results.

How do I prepare my skin?

Within 2 weeks prior to your treatment DO NOT have any of the following treatments:

• Waxing of any area to be treated

• Depilatory use in any treated area

• Laser treatments

• Chemical treatments of any kind

• During summer Sunscreen must be worn

• Any active injury or inflammation to the treatment area

I recently underwent an extreme and very controlled form of facial peel, otherwise known as a Dermamelan Treatment. It is one of the most intense and drastic types of peel you can have. But like most things in life, with patience, dedication and the diligence, the pay-off and the result is nothing to laugh at.

[pullquote width=”300″ float=”left”]Good skin takes time and is not an overnight fix.[/pullquote]

Remembering I was once a girl with many scars, pimples, black and white heads, hormone affected and unbalanced skin, I can now say I have never been happier with my tone, scarring, blemish control and overall healthy glow. This peel has changed my skin (and confidence) forever, in more ways than I can count. Even not wearing make up on my days off has led me to be more comfortable and friendly to my skin, where usually I would wear ore, just to cover it up.

It is important to trust your dermatologist as well as your own instinct, and to take instructions and care of your skin very seriously. Here is my story..

WARNING:
What you are about to see is somewhat graphic and was painful, but the results were more than worth my pain. Rest assured, I knew what I was getting myself into, and love my results. Beauty might be pain, but its certainly worth it.

Before:

Note the colour of my skin, the scarring, the tone around my chin and nose, and the general condition. A fair bit of scarring, uneven skin tone and discolouration.

IMG_7967.JPG IMG_7971.JPG IMG_7972.JPG
Day 1: Application of Mask

I was so excited for this peel! I have high expectations and am ready for what ever is thrown my way! Firstly the skin is make up free and prepared with the cleanser (the blue liquid) and the mask is then applied. Derya put a thicker layer on the more problem areas. IMG_7980.JPG IMG_7982.JPG IMG_7986.JPG

Then I stayed like this (very sexy, I know..) for 8 hours. I drove 30 minutes home with sunglasses on, pretending to ignore the bizarre stares I was getting! Be prepared for this, as it must be done. The longer it is left, the better the results!

Day 1: Removal of Mask

8 hours later, I removed the mask, and I I was a little red, but not very swollen. My face felt warm but not irritated in any way. I looked like this:IMG_7990.JPGThen two hours later, my face was swollen, hot, and very red. It felt dry and tight, and a little swollen. Although I was warned, I was a little shocked at how quickly since the removal of the mask, this had taken affect. Almost instantly! My cheeks and lips were puffed and my skin felt like a sunburn. It wasn’t painful, but you knew it was there.

IMG_8001.JPG IMG_8004.JPG IMG_8002.JPG

Day 2: Swelling

As I awoke the next morning, I was expecting to be little more red and puffy, and indeed I was. I was told not to venture out of the house (more for embarrassment, rather than the peeling itself) and I certainly was’t going anywhere any time soon. I am a social creature by nature, and love my outside coffee meets and Sunday brunch dates. This really affected me, but not enough to venture out! Hello HR Puff N Stuff! Particularly in the last image, with the bee-stung lips.

IMG_8012.JPG IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8015.JPG IMG_8017.JPG

Day 3: Peeling

The next morning I had awoken in a tight and cracking haze, as my face was leaving its past behind without me even realising! I had started to peel! Firstly it started around my mouth, then my nose, chin and cheeks. From the middle of the face outward, I guess. This was my favourite and most painful part of the process. The new skin was very raw, shiny and tender (not to mention swollen) but had already reduced small scars and pimples coming through. Already, I could see my face changing and my skin was almost always feeling like it was on fire – especially after moisturising it. It would sting so much, I would sing Alicia Keys ‘This Girl is on Fire’ but replace the words ‘this girl’ and sang, ‘my skin’ instead. I could feel my face crunching and the peeling flakes blowing in the wind.. It was love, but a very painful and traumatic love. And it was only getting started..

IMG_8037.JPG IMG_8032.JPG

Day 4:

Coming soon!
Keep in touch for Part II of this one, its well worth the wait!

You can find Victorian Dermal Group on Facebook and Instagram.

20 Comments

1. LUngie wrote:

How much is dermamelan treaTment/peel

Posted 4.10.17
  2. Becky Lamb wrote:

The cost is usually upwards of $1000.oo AUD. And its worth every penny if you have scarring and uneven skin like me, but be sure you are going to the right dermal clinician!

Posted 5.3.17
  3. Chantelle Casotti wrote:

I had the dermamelan peel on may 2 and am now continuing The post treatment plan. My skin gets better and better everyday!! Best thing i have done!

Posted 6.15.17
  4. Mateen wrote:

Hi….it was very helpful.

Posted 6.27.17
  5. Mateen wrote:

Could you please tell me how many peels have you done..

Posted 6.27.17
  6. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Mateen,
    I have only had the one peel. If you have scar-prone skin like mine, its a great fix! I loved it. Your skin does change though, and you do see differences, but you might want another one in a few years just to get those little scars gone! Keep up the maintenance peels too, really helped.

Posted 7.5.17
  7. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Mateen,
    Thank you! I tried to do that exactly. Glad it has worked 🙂

Posted 7.5.17
  8. Megan wrote:

Thank you so much for doing this. I’m currently on Day 3 on my Dermamelan treatment and I was not expecting this pain! After all the research I did, no one really mentioned it, I was definitely starting to worry something was wrong. So you’re story is incredibly reassuring, thanks again!!

Posted 8.29.17
  9. Nicole Spence wrote:

Hi, can you tell me if you know if anyone on the Gold Coast that does this peel? I noticed you did it in Victoria?

Thanks

Posted 11.27.17
  10. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Megan, Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you found me! I am often asked to basically sugarcoat the bad things that happen (oh the joys of social media!) but I refuse to be anything other than honest – how else do you gain trust in your readers? Anyway, the pain is real and the post is honest. I’m glad you can relate and hope your skin looks fresh and beautiful after your peel!

Posted 1.22.18
  11. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Nicole, I am yet to find someone but if I ever do, I will let you know. It is so hard to find the right clinician as they all promise the world but unfortunately some only deliver an atlas.. If you find one, please let me know too!

Posted 1.22.18
  12. Becky Lamb wrote:

I agree! It is the best thing I have ever done too!

Posted 1.22.18
  13. Meg wrote:

Hi
    I’m getting married end of May and nervous about doing incase I still have flaking by the wedding date, how long did the flaking last? A friend had it done and her skin looks amazing but she still gets flaky patches several months later….. thanks!

Posted 2.26.18
  14. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Meg, Congratulations on your wedding! I stopped peeling for the most part about 2 weeks after (the smaller cream actually increases the time you peel). If you continue to use that cream, you will continue to peel. You should peel for about two weeks and then it would have mostly cleared up. You should have plenty of time! Good luck x

Posted 2.26.18
  15. Noopur jain wrote:

Hi Becky,
    How much down time we required to recover from this treatment ..also i m getting married in july 04 so when is the right time to get this treatment done..

Posted 4.4.18
  16. Kum wrote:

Hi there i had a similar peel called Meladeep. I went through the same as per your experience. I was still on post treatment cream and I did a was on my upper lip. I had a was burn and now it’s left a scar. I am highly stressed and don’t know what can be done.

Posted 4.7.18
  17. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Kum, I am sorry to hear this. I would suggest you head back to where you had the procedure and consult your therapist. Good luck!

Posted 4.28.18
  18. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Noopur, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I would suggest a month before your wedding would be a good space of time, even six weeks before – you will have a good week of down time, but those extra weeks will ensure you will have flawless skin for your special day. x

Posted 4.28.18
  19. Trish wrote:

Hello Becky,
    Can I see part 2 photos please??
    Thanks

Posted 5.13.18

Instagram

• Well... a lot can happen in a year!
I was always really looking forward to being pregnant! I had all the dreams of the beautiful pregnancy feeling and loving every moment.. honestly though, all I felt was sick, tired and fat soooo that went out the window pretty quick! 🤰🏼 There was a time maybe 20-24 weeks in where I thought ‘oh I see why women enjoy this’ but it was fleeting and not permanent and after that I was certainly not enjoying those inevitable changes. I’d accepted I would change from the start, which was lucky because everything grew and grew and grew like crazy!! I gained 30kg / 66lb in 6 months and it went everywhere! Even my nose and toes had swelling 😂 I was so uncomfortable and hot, I couldn’t exercise (which I really missed!) and even getting out of bed or off the couch was a complete struggle. This was hard work and I did not love much of it. It made me feel sometimes guilty of not enjoying every part of it and wishing I was, but I always appreciated how incredible my body was, and what it was actually doing. I was growing two humans! Of course that’s going to be uncomfortable! I still tried to do everything I was going before, but I was just a little slow in my waddling to get there 🐳 I wasn’t one to love my pregnancy but I could always appreciate it. So to all of you who appreciate but don’t love being pregnant, I feel you girl. It’s rough out there, but you’re doing an amazing job mama! Keep those feet up and those mocktails coming, and bubs will be here in no time 🙌🏼❤️ and be thankful you aren’t growing triplets in there 😂😂 #CoulthardAndCo
  • Another week, another @hellofreshau menu to choose! (Kenni isn’t picky, but today she’s happy with the creamy tomato & chicken penne 😉) These are SO easy to do; select your menu, decide what you’ll be cooking for the night and follow the menu instructions and ta-dah! Pro chef 👩🏼‍🍳💪🏼 If you are like me and are a semi-average chef / multi-tasking mum, do yourself (and your fam-bam the favour 😉) and get your box delivered today! Use my code BECKY40 for 40% off your first box. We are hooked! #HelloFreshAu #CoulthardAndCo
  • My favourite little guy was made for the pool. 💦 When ever he sees the water he’s so excited, kicking his legs and yelling with excitement! His little hands splashing around, water goes everywhere! We love it! Family time and we all get in there together - it’s actually amazing how skilled and confident they are already, after only a few months of swimming lessons at @jumpswimschools - our classes at @jumpswimschoolsmiami are small, personalised and above all else, FUN! So much fun!! I’m not sure who enjoys it more - me or the little guy @cartercoulthard 😂💦🙌🏼 #JumpSwimSchools #CoulthardAndCo
  • This has to have been one of my favourite events to be a part of. Hosting @minding.her.business was one of those times I truly just loved my job! So many like-minded women in one (beautifully decorated!) room all supportive and genuine #GirlGang Sometimes I doubt myself, or struggle to believe I’m worthy or capable (especially after time away from work having kids and being so occupied!) and on this day I literally had to talk myself into my capabilities and confidence. Even though I’ve done countless hours of live television and hosted many functions before, I was so nervous.. Anyway, I put my big girl pants on (well, dress, by @my.second.closet ) and I kicked arse that day, all while meeting a whole bunch of beautiful women and made myself proud, so go me! It’s amazing what the mind is capable of! #MindingHerBusiness #BeckyLamb #MHBTribe
  • Fabian and I are so excited to share this with you! #PinchMe
We truly loved our experience at @goldcoastprivatehospital with the @goldcoastprivatematernity team. The facilities are second to none and we are so grateful for their kind hearts and world-class service. The staff are like family to us as we spent almost a month getting to know them, and we still keep in touch. I would happily return! Happy Fathers Day to all dads out there, and especially to you Fabian, on your first Fathers Day! ❤️ You can see the full video on my Facebook page too. Take a look! #CoulthardAndCo  #BornAtGoldCoastPrivate
  • Happy FIRST Father’s Day to you @fabiancoulthard !! 👶🏼👶🏼 Our twinnies couldn’t be more lucky to have you to love and admire, cuddle and play with and to look up to. Out of all the incredible things you’ve achieved, this will always be you’d greatest. Thanks for all your sacrifices and everything you do for us. We love you so much! ❤️❤️❤️ #CoulthardAndCo #FabPack
  • When it’s @biologiserum ‘s birthday, but you get the presents!? #OkWithMe 🙋🏼‍♀️👌🏼 Happy 1st birthday Biologi! Six months ago my face was full of acne and now we barely have a pimple over here. If you’re looking for that skin product that actually works, it’s here 💥 #BiologiSerum #BeckyLamb
  • ‘Delivery! Hey Mum, your weekly @HelloFreshau has arrived, right to your door!’ (because who wants to tackle grocery shopping with 10 month old twins!) 🤷🏼‍♀️👌🏼 Use my code BECKY40 to give it a go and 40% off your first box, you won’t regret it! #HelloFreshAu #CoulthardAndCo
  • Those new hair feels 🙌🏼 Love being darker! Hair queen @misslorianne at @stefan_helensvale - I just let her do what she wants, the trust pays off! @stefanhair I LOVE this look! My hair is the same length as the extensions now so it’s ALL ABOUT THE VOLUME, GURL. 💁🏽‍♀️
💄Lip by @mblbeauty (liquid matte ‘DUSTED ROSE’) do yourself a favour) 💕
#StefanHair #HairByStefan #BeckyLamb

#CoulthardAndCo

never miss a post

join us and receive your password for protected content.