The Truth About Skin Peels : My Dermamelan Treatment, Part I

VDG

I have long spoken about my deep love and affection of skin peels, and why they have helped my skin beyond my imagination. I wanted to take some time out to explain just whats going on, and give you a two part series of my most favourite peel ever. I have a two-part BLOG for you, and have also answered some peel questions, have a daily picture diary of my skin progress and a side of commentary too.

Skin Peels are one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed today and can significantly improve the appearance of the skin. Chemical peels are a method of regenerating and resurfacing the skin by inducing a controlled wound. These light to medium depth peels remove part of the epidermal layer and therefore improve acne and acne scarring, sun-damaged skin, skin pigmentation problems, wrinkles, skin texture, and the overall appearance of the skin. Peels give the best results when performed in a series, however even a single treatment can make a significant difference. Victorian Dermal Group uses Aspect Dr clinical skin peels, with varying strengths and formulations to treat a wide variety of skin concerns.

I asked my dermatologist Derya Koch, from Victorian Dermal Group a few questions:

How does a clinical/medical peel work?

Clinical/medical peels promote exfoliation, skin exfoliation is achieved by either chemical or physical means, chemical exfoliation (clinical/medical peels) is achieved by using naturally derived acids. The formulations are made up of naturally derived acids, for example two commonly used Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHA’s) or Beta Hydroxy acids  (BHA’s). A simple comparison between AHA’s and BHA’s is simply that BHA’s are primarily oil soluble – works on the oil phases of the skin that cause acne and congestion, also ideal for thickened skins due to external environmental factors. Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHA’s) are hydrophilic (water soluble) used in product formulations to facilitate an increase in cell turn over, and for their antioxidant and hydrating properties.

What will the treatment feel like?

The treatment is very comfortable, expect some dryness and possible flaking 5 days post peel as your skin goes through an exfoliation process. To minimise your recovery period we perform clinical / medical peels with a hydrating and repairing ampoule and mask.

How many treatments are required?

This will depend on the condition being treated. Normally a course of 4 peels and cosmeceutical homecare achieve great results.

How do I prepare my skin?

Within 2 weeks prior to your treatment DO NOT have any of the following treatments:

• Waxing of any area to be treated

• Depilatory use in any treated area

• Laser treatments

• Chemical treatments of any kind

• During summer Sunscreen must be worn

• Any active injury or inflammation to the treatment area

I recently underwent an extreme and very controlled form of facial peel, otherwise known as a Dermamelan Treatment. It is one of the most intense and drastic types of peel you can have. But like most things in life, with patience, dedication and the diligence, the pay-off and the result is nothing to laugh at.

[pullquote width=”300″ float=”left”]Good skin takes time and is not an overnight fix.[/pullquote]

Remembering I was once a girl with many scars, pimples, black and white heads, hormone affected and unbalanced skin, I can now say I have never been happier with my tone, scarring, blemish control and overall healthy glow. This peel has changed my skin (and confidence) forever, in more ways than I can count. Even not wearing make up on my days off has led me to be more comfortable and friendly to my skin, where usually I would wear ore, just to cover it up.

It is important to trust your dermatologist as well as your own instinct, and to take instructions and care of your skin very seriously. Here is my story..

WARNING:
What you are about to see is somewhat graphic and was painful, but the results were more than worth my pain. Rest assured, I knew what I was getting myself into, and love my results. Beauty might be pain, but its certainly worth it.

Before:

Note the colour of my skin, the scarring, the tone around my chin and nose, and the general condition. A fair bit of scarring, uneven skin tone and discolouration.

IMG_7967.JPG IMG_7971.JPG IMG_7972.JPG
Day 1: Application of Mask

I was so excited for this peel! I have high expectations and am ready for what ever is thrown my way! Firstly the skin is make up free and prepared with the cleanser (the blue liquid) and the mask is then applied. Derya put a thicker layer on the more problem areas. IMG_7980.JPG IMG_7982.JPG IMG_7986.JPG

Then I stayed like this (very sexy, I know..) for 8 hours. I drove 30 minutes home with sunglasses on, pretending to ignore the bizarre stares I was getting! Be prepared for this, as it must be done. The longer it is left, the better the results!

Day 1: Removal of Mask

8 hours later, I removed the mask, and I I was a little red, but not very swollen. My face felt warm but not irritated in any way. I looked like this:IMG_7990.JPGThen two hours later, my face was swollen, hot, and very red. It felt dry and tight, and a little swollen. Although I was warned, I was a little shocked at how quickly since the removal of the mask, this had taken affect. Almost instantly! My cheeks and lips were puffed and my skin felt like a sunburn. It wasn’t painful, but you knew it was there.

IMG_8001.JPG IMG_8004.JPG IMG_8002.JPG

Day 2: Swelling

As I awoke the next morning, I was expecting to be little more red and puffy, and indeed I was. I was told not to venture out of the house (more for embarrassment, rather than the peeling itself) and I certainly was’t going anywhere any time soon. I am a social creature by nature, and love my outside coffee meets and Sunday brunch dates. This really affected me, but not enough to venture out! Hello HR Puff N Stuff! Particularly in the last image, with the bee-stung lips.

IMG_8012.JPG IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8015.JPG IMG_8017.JPG

Day 3: Peeling

The next morning I had awoken in a tight and cracking haze, as my face was leaving its past behind without me even realising! I had started to peel! Firstly it started around my mouth, then my nose, chin and cheeks. From the middle of the face outward, I guess. This was my favourite and most painful part of the process. The new skin was very raw, shiny and tender (not to mention swollen) but had already reduced small scars and pimples coming through. Already, I could see my face changing and my skin was almost always feeling like it was on fire – especially after moisturising it. It would sting so much, I would sing Alicia Keys ‘This Girl is on Fire’ but replace the words ‘this girl’ and sang, ‘my skin’ instead. I could feel my face crunching and the peeling flakes blowing in the wind.. It was love, but a very painful and traumatic love. And it was only getting started..

IMG_8037.JPG IMG_8032.JPG

Day 4:

Coming soon!
Keep in touch for Part II of this one, its well worth the wait!

You can find Victorian Dermal Group on Facebook and Instagram.

20 Comments

1. LUngie wrote:

How much is dermamelan treaTment/peel

Posted 4.10.17
  2. Becky Lamb wrote:

The cost is usually upwards of $1000.oo AUD. And its worth every penny if you have scarring and uneven skin like me, but be sure you are going to the right dermal clinician!

Posted 5.3.17
  3. Chantelle Casotti wrote:

I had the dermamelan peel on may 2 and am now continuing The post treatment plan. My skin gets better and better everyday!! Best thing i have done!

Posted 6.15.17
  4. Mateen wrote:

Hi….it was very helpful.

Posted 6.27.17
  5. Mateen wrote:

Could you please tell me how many peels have you done..

Posted 6.27.17
  6. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Mateen,
    I have only had the one peel. If you have scar-prone skin like mine, its a great fix! I loved it. Your skin does change though, and you do see differences, but you might want another one in a few years just to get those little scars gone! Keep up the maintenance peels too, really helped.

Posted 7.5.17
  7. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Mateen,
    Thank you! I tried to do that exactly. Glad it has worked 🙂

Posted 7.5.17
  8. Megan wrote:

Thank you so much for doing this. I’m currently on Day 3 on my Dermamelan treatment and I was not expecting this pain! After all the research I did, no one really mentioned it, I was definitely starting to worry something was wrong. So you’re story is incredibly reassuring, thanks again!!

Posted 8.29.17
  9. Nicole Spence wrote:

Hi, can you tell me if you know if anyone on the Gold Coast that does this peel? I noticed you did it in Victoria?

Thanks

Posted 11.27.17
  10. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Megan, Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you found me! I am often asked to basically sugarcoat the bad things that happen (oh the joys of social media!) but I refuse to be anything other than honest – how else do you gain trust in your readers? Anyway, the pain is real and the post is honest. I’m glad you can relate and hope your skin looks fresh and beautiful after your peel!

Posted 1.22.18
  11. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Nicole, I am yet to find someone but if I ever do, I will let you know. It is so hard to find the right clinician as they all promise the world but unfortunately some only deliver an atlas.. If you find one, please let me know too!

Posted 1.22.18
  12. Becky Lamb wrote:

I agree! It is the best thing I have ever done too!

Posted 1.22.18
  13. Meg wrote:

Hi
    I’m getting married end of May and nervous about doing incase I still have flaking by the wedding date, how long did the flaking last? A friend had it done and her skin looks amazing but she still gets flaky patches several months later….. thanks!

Posted 2.26.18
  14. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Meg, Congratulations on your wedding! I stopped peeling for the most part about 2 weeks after (the smaller cream actually increases the time you peel). If you continue to use that cream, you will continue to peel. You should peel for about two weeks and then it would have mostly cleared up. You should have plenty of time! Good luck x

Posted 2.26.18
  15. Noopur jain wrote:

Hi Becky,
    How much down time we required to recover from this treatment ..also i m getting married in july 04 so when is the right time to get this treatment done..

Posted 4.4.18
  16. Kum wrote:

Hi there i had a similar peel called Meladeep. I went through the same as per your experience. I was still on post treatment cream and I did a was on my upper lip. I had a was burn and now it’s left a scar. I am highly stressed and don’t know what can be done.

Posted 4.7.18
  17. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Kum, I am sorry to hear this. I would suggest you head back to where you had the procedure and consult your therapist. Good luck!

Posted 4.28.18
  18. Becky Lamb wrote:

Hi Noopur, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I would suggest a month before your wedding would be a good space of time, even six weeks before – you will have a good week of down time, but those extra weeks will ensure you will have flawless skin for your special day. x

Posted 4.28.18
  19. Trish wrote:

Hello Becky,
    Can I see part 2 photos please??
    Thanks

Posted 5.13.18

Instagram

• What’s been plying on my mind lately you didn’t ask? (Lol) well, amongst many motherhood things, I’ve got to say my skin and make up routine. Firstly, my skin sucks. It’s always been prone to scarring and pimples have been so bad since I had the twins (cheers, hormones 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻). Secondly, time-poor (and lazy!) me doesn’t put make up on every day for being at home. Thirdly, when I actually do, I cuddle my babies in close and naturally my face touches theirs and I seriously think about the effects of my choices for my skin onto theirs. Could it harm them? Should it be more natural? Do natural products actually work? Well, in short, the answer to all these questions is YES. I think we are all aware there are products for skin and make up our there that are MUCH better for our skin, but did you know how amazing some natural and ‘clean’ make up products there are?? Bet you didn’t know this photo was taken 11 hours after I used all natural and clean products too... VERY impressed. You can see my blog post on my website (search ‘CLEAN BEAUTY MARKET’) to see my haul. You’re welcome x
PS thank you @finnpoke_ for having me at your Pacific Fair launch last week! I made my own bowl and channeled my inner Nigella 😉

Makeup @cleanbeautymarket
Hair @stefanhair @stefan_helensvale
Dressed by @my.second.closet
  • Ohhhhkayyyy so I need your help!
WHICH TEAM DO I CHEER FOR? Should be easy, but it’s not! Here’s the story:
I was born in Newcastle, NSW. I lived there until I moved to Melbourne for a few years, and now have lived on the Gold Coast, QUEENSLAND for 2.5 years. I can’t see myself moving from here for a while yet, and if anything it would probably be back to Melbourne... Fabian is an English-born-but-raised-as-a-kiwi New Zealander who claims himself as a QLDER, which means because we aren’t at all competitive, we naturally have a rivalry for NSW vs. QLD. 🙄 (I’m clutching at straws here) but the pups were NSW originals, PLUS the twins were born here in QLD, so it’s a real debate as to where I belong. I’M GENUINELY CONFUSED. Do I stick with the state I was born with or do I cheer for the state I call home? HELP! #StateOfOrigin
  • Confidence actually takes years to build. After going through all the big milestones, body changes and life challenges that the motherhood journey brings, it’s important not to forget who we are and why we are here. For me, after modelling for all those years, the body struggles have really affected me, being so used to putting such an importance on how my body LOOKED, and not at all on its functions or abilities. It’s hard to change that mindset and see yourself how others see you, or even not worry so much about negatives and begin to see the positives about yourself. Changing your own perspective takes time and is made easier when you’re in the right environment and surrounded by the right people. It also helps when you can wear outfits like this 😂 thank you to @my.second.closet for the complete overhaul of my wardrobe... it was needed, for the bod and the confidence!
Sometimes we all need that little lift - wether it be a compliment, a haircut or a new outfit. Be sure to start this week off on a positive and give yourself and someone else a little positive reminder. It costs nothing!
Dress, bag and scarf ➡️ @my.second.closet 💕 #beckylamb #CoulthardAndCo
  • Yesterday at Polo By The Sea.. I can’t tell you how many times I was asked if I missed the kids.. honestly, we have an amazing friend who takes such great care of them, I hardly worried! We were having so much fun with our friends too, I didn’t once have mum guilt. We all need time off - especially to enjoy time with Fabian was fun! I miss us and our old lives occasionally, but this new life is just as fun! It just takes a little adjusting, juggling and discovery of what’s most important.
Also, can we have a moment for this outfit? The girls at @my.second.closet have so many gorgeous pieces, it was hard to decide on just one! I’ll upload more details today 💕 #CoulthardAndCo #PoloByTheSea
  • We were a little sad not to wake up to this view from @oakwoodbrisbane this morning.. Carter loved watching all the cars go past on the Story bridge. So cute to watch his little face light up as he gets excited and learns so many new things! Fab and I took the twins for a mid-week staycay this week and it was great to have a little get away just the four of us. I’d also been eyeing off @the_spaghettihouse for so long (lobster gnocchi, you’re welcome!) so we took the kids there too, and they slept in the pram like absolute gems (well, after a little while they did 😉). It was so nice to just get away together. Yep, it’s a lot of organising and preparation but it pays off and is super insightful for our upcoming trip in a few weeks. Where was your first holiday as a family to? We’re keen to do some more travelling in the next few months with the kidlets - this was a perfect first get away for us. We loved it!
#oakwoodbrisbane
#CiaoBrisbane
  • My happy and adventurous little guy,  Carter 💙 @cartercoulthard #CoulthardAndCo
  • When @misslorianne gives you mermaid hair🧜‍♀️ She is my @stefanhair at queen @stefan_helensvale ... Some foils, a tone and some tape extensions. I haven’t had these since I was pregnant and I’m loving the thickness and ability to style again. It takes a bit more time to do after a wash but I love making myself put in the effort for the way it makes me feel for the days after. My hair holds ZERO curl (it’s always strait!) so these keep it in and have me feeling goooooooood gurl 💁🏼‍♀️ What so you do for yourself after babies to make yourself feel good for days to come?  #StefanHair
  • People say not to work with children or animals... 😂 let’s just take a second to imagine how much spare time I didn’t have with my twinnies to take this boomerang 😂 the old COMFORTIS dog treat jack strikes again! Monthly protection against parasites a bonus ✔️ #ad
  • @BioOilAustralia has been there for me from the start - when I was a teenager and I acquired my first lot of stretch marks. And here we are again in full swing with these twinnies to help improve the appearance of those extra marks and make me feel like ‘me’ again. I just apply twice a day, morning and night, and it only takes two minutes, so I get more time with my little mate Carter. Those chubby cheeks get me every time! #BioOilTwiceDaily #Collab #BioOilPartnership

#CoulthardAndCo

never miss a post

join us and receive your password for protected content.